Friday, September 12, 2008

Still a rookie parent, but making progress!





Blogged by: Proud Papa (aka Sash)

We're only a few days away from Milan turning one month old; unbelievable how quickly time goes by. Many parents have told us that this stage goes by so quickly and to cherish every moment. I've been very conscious of it, trying to spend as much time with him before I return to work. It'll be an adjustment for the whole family, but I'm personally dreading the day I get the phone call from Danielle at work saying, "you'll never guess what he just did!! Milan just (insert amazing accomplishment here) !!" C'est la vie I suppose, but maybe I could talk him into saving those major milestones for the weekends? :)

He has already captured the heart of his parents, as well as the friends and family that have had the chance to meet him already. Danielle describes his personality up to this point the same as mine; apparently I'm cool, calm and collected :) We've had our hands full this month, but I think we're slowly "getting it", however, I still struggle with a few of my baby related tasks, including, but not limited to the following:
  1. Changing his outfits in a timely fashion. I think I have a 1 in 5 success rate. The neck holes are too tiny, his head to wobbly, the sleeves are too tight, argh..I sometimes question what some of these baby clothes designers were thinking, but definitely see this as an area I'll improve on with more practice.
  2. Bath time. How parents don't have anxiety attacks when they're picking up a soapy baby is beyond me. I'm cautious by nature, but I take it to the extreme here. I've got a way to go before I can do this one on my own.
  3. Singing to him. Okay, so I'll admit I've got a pretty karaoke singing voice, but it's useless when I can't remember words to even the simpliest of lullabies. Currently I'm either singing him Christmas carols or making up my own songs.
  4. Diaper changing. I evolved from a total rookie to a competent diaper changer within the last month, but the piece that has alluded me up til now has been the "oh do I feel cold air? let's pee on Daddy" syndrome. The kicker here is that this has only happened to Danielle twice. I'm getting better each day so the quick changes tend to mitigate this problem, but it will inevtiably occur again soon.

I'm curious to know what the next month will bring for our new family. Ah, the bliss of being a father.

No comments: