Sunday, September 14, 2008

We've come a long way baby!

Our little boy is 4 weeks old today! That means that 4 Sundays' ago, I was in the hospital for what was one of the biggest events of my life. I remember it well because it was still a short time ago, but I know inevitably, the finer details of that days memories will fade. That's not to say I will forget the day - I enjoy replaying it over in my mind every once in awhile. But while I create new memories to savor, the colourful details of other moments may fade slightly. Such is life I guess...
I remember being in complete awe that the fateful day I would become a mother had finally arrived! I was so scared, and nervous. There were so many things I didn't know how to do when it came to being a parent! One of the biggest challenges I thought I was certain to face was the great sleep issue. So many parents warned us of the sleepless nights, the diaper changes, the multi-hours of night nursing and the eternal zombie-like state that goes with new parenthood. I've been pleasantly surprised (so far) at how well I have adjusted to the on/off sleeping pattern that goes with having a newborn infant. I tried to prepare myself prior to Milan's birth to "roll with the punches" and sleep when I could, and so far that theory is working well.

One area that needs some work on my part is what I call the Fluster Factor. I tend to become flustered when I cannot sooth our little bundle of joy. It hurts me to know sometimes you just have to let babies cry - when all I want to do is fix the problem. Getting used to a baby's wail isn't something that happens overnight. Perhaps a CD or a DVD comprised solely of a baby's cry would be a 'must-have' item to purchase for any expectant parent?

Although I need to remind myself to stay as calm as I can during these trying moments, I am proud to say that I am starting to be able to distinguish between King Milan's cries. The Tired Cry, the Hungry Cry, the I'm-Uncomfortable-Cry and so on. Surely not everyone can boast this rare, yet valuable talent?! The bottom line is that I am trying my very best to be as in tune with our son's method of communication as possible. This is my winning formula to success.

Additionally, who would have thought that I'd be a champion at breastfeeding?! Not I, that's for sure. But the scale is proving that our son is thriving and gaining weight like a sumo-wrestler in training. Just one more way that I have gracefully slid into the role of Motherhood. The last weigh in was just this past Thursday, September 11th, and the King was a whopping 10lbs 6.5 ounces! Mummies milk must be good!!
As it stands, this evening I have begun to exercise my vocal cords for what will be thousands of hours of song singing, lulling baby to sleep, and learning countless cartoon jingles which will probably get stuck in my head for thousands of hours more...
I end this blog saying so far, so good. I can do this. I am doing this! I am a mom and at this point, I feel as though I'm hangin' in there. Keep in mind it's only been 28 complete days. We'll see how the next 28 go. ;-)
Stay tuned for more Adventures with Milan!

No comments: